NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » makefile missing

October 21, 2010
by legalbear

on page 43 of the instructions it states to use the command line to fine "code" which it does but there is no listing for makefile

October 21, 2010
by Rick_S

If you are using windows, afte you have shelled out to the command line, you need to change to the folder your program is in.

If for instance, you placed your unzipped code folder in the root of your drive C, once at the command prompt you would type:

cd c:\code

This will change your directory to the code folder.

now, if you are at page 43, you are probably working with the initialload program so you will need to change to that folder by typing:

cd initialload

Now that you are in your initialload folder, all you have to do is type

make

and you will see avrdude compile and send the program to your kit.

If you are not running windows, or if you have any other problems, let us know

Rick

December 30, 2010
by kmohideen

Hi, I am using XP to work on the temperature sensor project, I downloaded and installed the NerdKits Sample Source Code. After I type in "make" an error message pops up that says: This application has failed to start because libusb0.dll was not found. Re - installing the application may fix this.

At the same time command prompt says: avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a make:*** [initialload-upload] Error -10737415515

I have already re installed the code for the temperature sensor project, And I keep getting the same error. I also moved the libusb0.dll file to the same folder as the makefile, and that did not help either.

December 30, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi legalbear,

I believe this is an issue with WinAVR, try installing the latest version of WinAVR from sourceforge. Doing that should solve the problem, if it doesn't we are going to have to add a few things to your Windows PATH, but I would rather not mess with that if the latest version fixes the problem.

Humberto

December 30, 2010
by kmohideen

Hi Humberto,

I installed the latest version of WinAvr and I continue to get the same messages that I posted previously.

December 30, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi kmohideen,

Thats unfortunate. There is a thread on arv-freaks here where someone was having the same problem. It was fixed by adding C:WinAvr-20070525utilslibusbbin to the Windows PATH variable. Since you have a newer version of WinAVR that path name will be slightly different, you will have to find where WiniAVR is installed on your computer and add the right string to your PATH variable. When I say you need to add something to your PATH does that make sense? If not let me know and I will try to guide you through it.

Humberto

December 30, 2010
by kmohideen

Hi Humberto, I did exactly what you told me and I got this in the Command Prompt screen:

C:WinAVR-20100110utilslibusbbin>make

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "" ""; type =

Software Version = . ; Hardware Version = .

avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

after command prompt printed "Connecting to programmer" it took about a minute for the other statements to appear.

-kmohideen
December 30, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi kmohideen,

This is a completely different error, so we need to take a step back and figure out where we are. You should not be running make inside the WinAVR folder. You should pretty much leave that folder alone once you install the program. When I mentioned adding things to your PATH I meant the Windows environment variables, it has nothing to do with the command line, were you able to do that successfully?

After you do that you need to unzip your Code folder from the zip file you download from our site into some directroy on your hard drive, your desktop works fine, or the My Docouments folder. Then using the command line you need to cd your way into the folder then run make from in there. Does all that make sense? I'd be glad to try and clear things up if it doesn't.

Humberto

December 31, 2010
by kmohideen

Hi Humberto,

I think that I was able to successfully change my windows environment variables, but here is what I did to change it. Start>right click My Computer>properties>Advanced Tab>environment variables> I changed the PATH to what you indicated in your previous post, for the "Users Variables for Users" as well as in the "system variables".
I went to command line and navigated to the original Code folder and I got the same error message that I got in my previous post.

kmohideen

January 03, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi kmohideen,

Just to make absolutely sure (because I was pretty sure that would fix it). The PATH variable should have been a string with lots of things already in it. Please be careful to only add to the variable, as deleting things that are already there could be problematic. Here is a helpful link on adding things to your PATH. What folder did you add to your PATH, could you paste it for me so I can make sure it look right.

Also after adding the value to your PATH variable, you need to close the command line and open it again so it reads the new environment variables.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can make a spooky Halloween Jack-O-Lantern with a microcontroller? Learn more...