NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Can't write the program

January 01, 2011
by SusyMz

Hi, I'm new at this and I'm having some trouble with the temp sensor programming.I'm using a MacBook Pro laptop. I get this everytime I write make in the Terminal:

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/cu.PL2303-000013FD -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S
    Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex"
avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (7838 bytes):

Writing |                                                    | 0% 0.00savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

I checked all wiring and all seemes to be fine, does anyone know how to fix this?? Thank you in advance Susy

January 01, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Susy,

This is one of the more cryptic errors we get, and it is probably the most frustrating to debug. Please include a good close up picture of your setup, just so we can rule out any wiring issues.

Second, make sure the cable is connected directly to your computers USB port, not through a hub or keyboard USB port. When the chip quits on the chip stops on the write like that I always suspect a weak battery, it takes extra power to flash the new program so it might be resetting at that point due to a weak battery. Let us know if you find the issue.

Humberto

January 02, 2011
by Ralphxyz

On my Mac Mini I get the:

0% 0.00savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

When I fail to turn on the USB cable (I have a switch on the yellow wire) so check your USB cable (unplug and replug it).

Ralph

January 02, 2011
by SusyMz

Hey! Thank you for the replys, I discovered that I have to turn off the computer everytime I want to program the chip. So the wiring is fine, the compiler is fine, I donĀ“t know what can cause this. Do you know how to make it with turning the computer off each time? Thanks!!

Susy

January 02, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I think it is something to do with the USB connection. This had occasionally happened to me until I put a switch (spst) on the yellow wire. The switch goes on the breadboard not physically on the wire (which would also work).

I also have a switch on my power supply (not using the battery) so I have to switch three switches when I switch between programming mode and run mode.

You can try this:

If you are using the battery disconnect it, unplug your USB, than connect your battery, switch your switch to program mode and then plug back in your USB to program.

Once you have programmed the chip unplug your battery, unplug your USB and move your switch back to run mode than plug back in your battery. Your program "should" run.

It really "should not" matter but make sure your USB cable is disconnected when you are trying to run your program.

There is voltage on the yellow wire (2.6v) that holds the processor in a fantom state which sometimes forces the reboot.

Ralph

January 27, 2011
by landonf

Hi Susy --

If you're still having trouble with this, can you try the fix documented here?

http://www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/68/#post8616

January 27, 2011
by kvjohnso

I'm having this same problem with my CC build. I've tried all suggestions.

It erased my pre-installed code but is crashing on the flash write. 0% - Programmer is not responding.

Here is my make output:

imac01:initialload kvjohnso$ make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/cu.PL2303-000013FD -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7842 bytes):

Writing | | 0% 0.00savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

I'm using an iMac 2.66 i5.

Thanks if anyone has any solutions....

Ken

January 27, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi kvjohnso,

Did you try the changes to the Makefile that Mike suggested this http://www.nerdkits.com/forum/thread/68/#post8616 post (also linked to above). We are fairly certain that should fix this particular issue. If you can post your modified Makefile so we can take a look and make sure it looks right that would be great.

Humberto

January 28, 2011
by kvjohnso

Sorry folks. User error. I didn't do the first thing on page 34. 25 to ground.

I hope I didn't waste your time too much.

Ken

January 28, 2011
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear that you're on the right track. Just to be clear, does that mean that everything is working now?

Also, are you testing it with and/or without the change to the Makefile (splitting the avrdude line into avrdude/sleep/avrdude)? We'd like to gather some data points as to whether that workaround is effective!

Mike

January 28, 2011
by kvjohnso

Everything is working. Thanks!

On my iMac 2.66 i5 with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 one definitely has to have the sleep statement in the makefile - I verified it several times by switching Makefiles around.

I've complied 20+ times with the modified Makefile and it hasn't failed once!!! Perfect!

Thanks,

Ken

February 03, 2011
by kvjohnso

One more thing for your metrics Mike.

On my MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) with Snow Leopard 10.6.6, I DO NOT have to add the sleep to the Makefile.

Thought you'd like to know.

Ken

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has been featured in the MIT Undergraduate Research Journal? Learn more...