NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » where to buy parts?

February 06, 2011
by leemis

Hello everyone!

where is the best place to buy parts for the nerdkit?

will parts that are labeled as "for audrino" work with the nerdkit?

I live in the Orlando, Florida area. Is there a local place to go to buy parts and ask questions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

February 06, 2011
by Rick_S

Other than the microcontroller, you can purchase parts from any reputable distributor. Obviously it's nice to buy from the NK guys. Doing so, helps them, and in doing so supports the NK cause. :)

The microcontroller for an arduino, while the same chip, has a different bootloader that would not work with the standard makefiles provided with the code. The arduino bootloader can be replaced with the Nerdkit bootloader with special programming hardware. Otherwise, arduino based microcontrollers work easiest with an arduino board. If you have the arduino board, it is just a matter of modifying the makefile to send files over to the chip.

If you want to buy local, Radio Shack, while a bit more expensive than online purchasing, a lot of parts can be bought from them. They have a lot of switches, circuit boards, breadboards, capacitors, resistors, etc... I live in Indiana, so as far as local vendors go... I'm not much help :D....

Rick

February 06, 2011
by leemis

I definitely plan on buying parts, like additional microcontrollers, from the NK guys. The problem is, their store does not have a listing for parts that I am looking for. Things like joysticks, motors, and a variety of sensors are not listed. If the NK store has these, I'd be happy to buy from them.

I've been to several local Radio Shacks. I have to say, the ones in my local area are very disappointing - mostly cell phones, GPS units, and stuff like that. The stores have very little in the way of parts and such. I remember growing up, Radio Shack having all these cool parts you can buy and play with. That does not seem to be the case anymore. sigh

I searched and found sparkfun.com. Anyone have any experience with this site? I'd prefer to drive to a store so I can ask questions and get everything I need but that seems unlikely. If I forget one little thing, I now have to buy and wait for delivery again. There's lots of little things that I can over look being new to this.

What sites/sources can you guys recommend?

February 06, 2011
by Rick_S

As far as sparkfun, they are a good reputable site. However, you might want to look at your local shack again. Most of them still have quite a few components available. They have just moved them from the walls into drawer cabinets in the back. I know all the stores in my area still have a fair selection. Now you won't get avr microcontrollers but they have resistors, capacitors, etc...

Rick

February 06, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Have you googled "Orlando electronics distributors"?

I don't see any hobby orientated supplier in the first ten. But there certainly are suppliers in the lot, it might be interesting to work the list to see what you find.

At Radio Shack you have to find the drawers in the back and you definitely will not have anyone to talk to.

Ralph

February 07, 2011
by Keith726

Futurelec.com and Digikey.com are excellent online buying sites - you do have to know what you're looking for. One great thing they offer is the manufacturers' data sheets for each item. If you're not sure what you need, do a search at these sites, then download the data sheet and read it carefully - then you can buy the part you need.

February 07, 2011
by Rick_S

I've also bought a lot from Mouser.com if you want to go online.

Rick

February 08, 2011
by n3ueaEMTP

I'm not at all familiar with Florida geography but have you tried:

Marlin P. Jones & Assoc, Inc. 1133 Old Dixie Highway P.O. Box 530400 Lake Park, Florida 33403 www.mpja.com

They have a number of things that the NK guys don't stock, like bulk LEDs in colors other than red. I wanted to make a green LED marquee. They have 100 LEDs for $1.95. You really cant go wrong there. I also get some power supplies there.

Chris B

February 08, 2011
by leemis

Thanks for all the replies! I will check out the sites mentioned and will give Radio Shack another chance. I really appreciate all the support!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a motor's no-load current at a given voltage is much less than it's resistance would suggest? Learn more...