NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » The Super NerdKit Delux Pro 2000!

May 01, 2011
by DrPancake

Hey, So I have had my nerdkit for a long time but never wanted to take it apart because I still use it. It was a hassle to move it around though and I would always have wires coming off the board and then it would take me 20 minutes to figure out why it wasn't working! Well it took me all weekend but I am really happy how this baby turned out. Especially since I really don't have much experience using perf board. (yeah I should have used a 28pin socket for the AVR..oops!)

I have 14 sockets for the AVR pins that aren't being used by the LCD. The two sockets on the right are ground and power.

Behold! SUPER NERDKIT DELUX PRO 2000! Ultra portable, Sleek sexy design, and most of all Totally Nerd.

alt image text alt image text alt image text alt image text Before I added on/off switch alt image text alt image text

May 01, 2011
by missle3944

Hi DrPancake,

WOW. That looks really Nice! It looks like it might have gotten pretty meticulous on the wiring of the lcd to the mcu. I was in the same boat you were when I had wires everywhere but then I found another breadboard and rewired everything perfectly and orderly.

Nice work,

-missle3944

May 01, 2011
by missle3944

were did you get the pins that go into the lcd? and were did you get those header thingies?

May 01, 2011
by DrPancake

Thanks missle! I am pretty sure I got those from this "arduino project pack" http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSAPK

May 01, 2011
by Ralphxyz

DrPanCake, I really like what you did but if you want a clean look you just have to get rid of the LCD wiring.

Notice only four wires going to the LCD protoboard.

Red/Black for power

Yellow/White for I2C

Of course there is a I2C port expander on the back side of the protoboard with all of the wires for the LCD but it really is a clean setup.

This is curtesy Rick's I2C LCD!

Ralph

May 02, 2011
by DrPancake

Hey Ralph, Thanks for forwarding that thread. I think that might be my next project! Look out for Super NerdKit Ultra Deluxe Supreme 3000!

May 02, 2011
by Ralphxyz

As you can see from the thread I had a time getting it to work but now that I have it working I am very pleased.

All of the wiring is concealed on the backpack protoboard.

Of course now that I have it working on the spaghetti wire protoboard I need to learn Eagle and make it into a PCB that will really clean it up.

There are also a couple of threads here of people going to Michaels and getting wooden boxes to house their Nerdkits.

I have that on my list also, I even have the boxes (from Michaels of course).

One other thing using I2C frees up PortD so you have more inout/output pins.

Ralph

May 03, 2011
by mongo

Nice work dude! I have been kicking a similar idea around for a while myself but just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) can be used to control the speed of a motor digitally? Learn more...