NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Makefile won't "make" in command prompt

July 15, 2009
by BoloBit64

In the command prompt i have found the Makefile and it is a file and like the book says i type "make" and it gives the error: 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

Can someone please help i couldn't find anything anywhere else.

July 15, 2009
by sgmaniac1255

it means the "make" command isn't in the bin if commands that your computer recognizes

first right click on "my computer" and go to properties.

then go to the advanced tab, from there go to Environment Variables

under the System Variables you need to make sure this is in the "path" there may be more.

C:\WinAVR-20090313\utils\bin;

that is where the Make command is, WhinAVR should have put it there, but sometimes it doesn't

i had this same problem, if its there, just reboot, sometimes it takes a reboot for windows to see something

i also had this problem when i was learning java that's how i knew what to do to fix it. i hope this helps (and if your not on Windows...... um, sorry no idea how to help)

July 16, 2009
by BoloBit64

I have windows Vista, and i did the requested prosedures but i now i get an errror saying some make can't be found in the make file in another folder. Let me give you some more background to see if you can help me... I am running the first program that in the Nerdkits Guide that is in the folder called C:WinAVR,Code,initialload in this is the C document and the Makefile. When it runs in the command prompt this Makefile directs it to C:WinAVR,Code,libnerdkits where there is delay.o lcd.o (and another one along with the headers for the three files mentioned so far)and a makefile. It says it can't find the files. then it says ...failed. :(

(the commas are supossed to be slashes but it wouldn't work on the preview)

If anyone can help it would be very appreciated

July 16, 2009
by sgmaniac1255

im not sure what the problem is... the nerdkits Staff might be better suited for helping you, but they are not the only ones

Suport@nerdkits.com

they are quick about getting back to you and are more than willing to help. you can also ask the people in the IRC.

#nerdkits

im sorry i can't help you further

July 16, 2009
by BoloBit64

First of all I'd like to thank sgmaniac1255 for his generous help. so... THANK YOU! and to come to a conclusion on this subject for those who had the same problem, i did fix it. What i decided to do is unistall the WinAvr and reinstall it. What had happen was that i didn't directly save it to the C: (harddrive)so the path he mentioned was not the same path as what i had. so when i went to reinstall i saved it directly to the C: then ran the file and i then RESTARTED THE COMPUTER. This was key because windows is picky about that kind of stuff. then once it restarted i ran the make file and, after a slight complication with the (Com5)usb to serial port due to operator error, it worked. So thank you again sgmaniac1255 if i wouldn't have been able to check all the other stuff then i wouldn't have been able to come to this after reinstalling.

July 16, 2009
by BoloBit64

oh and if you have the same problem with the com5 not working just click the remove safely button on your toolbar on the bottom right and then when it says it is safe to remove press ok and remove it. then put it back in, what this does is refresh the com5 connection and your good it worked after that.

July 16, 2009
by sgmaniac1255

I'm glad to hear you were able to fix it. if you have any other problems don't hesitate to ask. there are several of us here that are happy to help solve problems. (especially if its one we've all experienced) and don't forget to let us know about any personal projects you work on

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that an analog comparator can tell when one voltage input crosses another? Learn more...