NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » ATTiny10 and the USB programmer from Nerdkits..

May 20, 2011
by auto_turret

So I want to use an ATTiny10 or similar for my next uC project. I noticed the ATTiny has a different programming interface called TPI (Tiny Programming Interface).

It uses 3 pins, /RESET, TPICLK, and TPIDATA as opposed to the 2 Tx/Rx I've been so used to with the Mega168.

From what the datasheet is telling me, the /RESET pin enables the TPI. Just a switch will do that job I'm guessing, like the ATMega168.

As far as the other 2 pins are concerned, will they work like the Mega168 and with the USB programmer? Will the software Nerdkits provided be able to program the device? I mean, if I changed the -mmcu=atmega168 in the makefile to the model I'm using, will it work?

My guess is no, life is never that easy! If that's the case, will I just have to buy a ATTiny programmer or is there a more sinister method? Or is there a Tiny model with the same programming interface as the Mega?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm going to use it to buzz a loud buzzer when it gets the signal to do so. The uC, and buzzer will be activated via a radio receiver and small wire antenna. These will go on a small PCB I will make, something I learned for next to free at i3Detroit Hackerspace. This will go inside of my TV remote and be activated by a transmitter placed near my TV. I am sick of the furious TV remote search every single time I want to watch TV!! Yeah I could just buy something like that, but where's the fun?

May 21, 2011
by Rick_S

You will need a special programmer to program the attiny10 with TPI. If you purchase a REAL (NOT FAKE CHINA CLONE) Atmel programmer like the AVRISP MKII, it will program them. Otherwise, I'd get a small micro that supports ISP. The programmers for those can be had for around $10 US.

Rick

May 21, 2011
by Noter

I haven't looked at the ATTiny10 but ATTiny85 can be programmed with any ISP programmer.

May 21, 2011
by Rick_S

Noter, the ATTiny10 doesn't support ISP Programming it uses a different method called TPI. It has no SPI, TWI, or UART - so all normal serial method of communication are out.

Rick

May 21, 2011
by Noter

Ok, in that case I reckon I will never buy an ATTiny10. Why would anyone?

May 21, 2011
by Rick_S

Extremely tiny 6 pin micro. Only 1k flash. I guess they must have some purpose in life or they wouldn't make them right :)

May 21, 2011
by Rick_S

Extremely tiny 6 pin micro. Only 1k flash. I guess they must have some purpose in life or they wouldn't make them right :)

May 21, 2011
by auto_turret

Hey thanks for all that wonderful info.

hell yeah I was looking at the use of the ATTiny's for their "Tiny" profile... 6 pins, surface mount, you feel me homie?

I am going to look around for a uC that can be programmed serially using the "ISP" method. Heh, now I know there's more than one way to skin this cat.

Surely I'll do this, but I'm also going to finger out the other methods as well. I swear if I have to go PIC, i'll... learn how to do that haha...

May 22, 2011
by auto_turret

I'm for sure going to get ahold of one of them uc's with ISP. I just want a small profile easily programmable uC! That Mega420 I got can do anything I want so far.. Luv it! Just need like 2 pins to do what I want.

I done put that 168 to work testing voltage drops on a transmission circuit for work. Worked flawlessly with a modified temp sensor program.

But hey, way off topic, I make beats all day can anyone rap? Tracks so fresh I can't stand it. Need someone that can flow... Need a lyricist?? Bet! You feelin me?? Get yur damn notebook out!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a square wave sounds different than a sine wave? Learn more...