NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Compatibility error

May 21, 2011
by JMitchell

Hello, When I try to flash the controller with the initialload, I got the following error. "connecting to programmer: . found programmer:Id = "(triangle symbol)"":type = 0 Software Version = dot dot; Hardware version = dot dot avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe to isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: ***[initialload-upload] Error 1

What is this talking about?? It sounds like the program and the MCU are incompatable.

May 21, 2011
by Rick_S

The error you are getting, it is the most common error we see around here and help has been given MANY times... However, what that error essentially means is that the PC and micro are not talking to each other. This can be caused by A LOT of different scenarios.

• Check your USB connection to the micro pins 2 & 3, make sure the wires are in the correct position.
  • Do not connect the red USB wire to the power rail if you are using a 9V battery.
  • Do connect the black USB wire to the Ground rail even if using a battery.
  • Double check the COM port settings (I see from your window you selected COM4 make sure that is your USB adapter)
  • Make sure your program switch is in the correct position for programming (slid toward the micro.
  • Double check all wiring.

There may be some I missed, but those are probably the most common. If you still can't get it, pictures of the setup with your USB cable connected can be helpful.

Rick

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that spinning a permanent magnet motor makes a voltage? Learn more...