NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Odessy of the minds

November 19, 2011
by hariharan

My friends and i are creating a structure for the Odessy of the minds . The structure will be holding about 1000 pounds (hope it will). Part of the problem is that the structure should react somehow to the amount of weight put on it. I thought I can connect a nerdkit to a weight sensor. But those sensors cost a lot and it won't fit our budget . So, I need an alternate way to achieve this with the nerdkit. Any suggestions?

November 19, 2011
by treymd

could you somehow adapt the strain gauge project to this? http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/weighscale/

November 20, 2011
by hariharan

the thing is that the structure will be 3"x3"x8" . so, i need something smaller..

November 21, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hari what do you mean something smaller?

A strain gage is about the size of a fifty cent piece so even using four of them (which you do not have to) would fit in 3"x3"x8".

Of course now I have to google Odessy of the minds to find out what the heck you are talking about.

I am trying to picture a 3"x3"x8" structure holding 1000#.

Ralph

December 05, 2011
by BobaMosfet

Use a rheostat.

BM

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or milling machine? Learn more...