NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » programing problems

November 22, 2011
by nhscte

Ok set up two (old but recently formatted) computers to us in a DC electronics class to use the nerd kits as a tool. I am able to write to the memory chip on different computers but not this one. checked the battery and the destination. Everything is either charged or correct (checked and double checked).

any other ideas to try?

November 22, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi nhscte,

With class computers, it is often the case that permissions are a problem. Did you try installing the driver as administrator, and running the command line as administrator?

Can you let us know what error you are getting on the command line?

Humberto

November 22, 2011
by nhscte

The error we are having is “error 1”. We found a patch that was posted earlier, but I have not had a chance to try it. We will get back to you when we have a chance to see if it works.

a side note is that we have total administrative rights to the computers, so we know that is not the problem.

happy turkey day.

November 28, 2011
by nhscte

Ok I need a couple of more ideas how to fix this problem ( error 1) I could not get the registry directory to work.

November 28, 2011
by missle3944

Are you using Windows, Mac, or linux? I can have my nerdkit run on windows and linux fine.SO I can help you there.

Make sure everything is wired up correctly.

Make sure you are in the right folder.

Make sure you have the driver installed. For linux it is loaded on the kernal so you dont need to install it.

Hope this helps. Keep asking if you have anymore trouble :)

-Dan

November 28, 2011
by nhscte

so far I have everthing covered that everone has sugested. it should be mentioned that I running XP Professional.

I did double check my nerds kit to make sure it wa working on my other PC runing windows it worked fine. I will double check the driver. but i thought it was right.

November 28, 2011
by treymd

Please try to copy and paste as much of the error as possible (not just the last line) Usually something of importance will appear a couple of lines up. Also, pay particular attention to the COM port on which windows has assigned the nerdkit cable. You can view this in the device manager (right click on my computer, it should be in the menu somewhere, perhaps properties if not a menu option itself) There should be entry in the COM/LPT section that corresponds to the cable. It will reference the chip PL2303, which is actually inside the nerdkit cable underneath all that plastic.

November 29, 2011
by nhscte

here is a screen shot of what I am getting

http://i.imgur.com/9RwK0.jpg

November 29, 2011
by nhscte

here is a screen shot of what I am getting

http://i.imgur.com/9RwK0.jpg

November 29, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi nhscte,

That is quite strange. You say the cable works fine with the same setup on different computers?

My guess in this case is that there is some hardware issue going on here. Are you by any chance connecting the cable to a USB hub and not the hardware USB port? Have you tried a different USB port?

Humberto

November 30, 2011
by nhscte

Ok just a thought could it due with Privileges that are set in XP Professional. I am thinking there is a setting some where that is not correct. I can use my thumb drives on the different USB terminals, and mouse, or keyboard. Not an windows expert.

thought I should float a hypothesis and see what everyone thought.

My other thought is to install lunix on a computer and see if I can make it work. I would love guidance from some People who know more than I.

November 30, 2011
by missle3944

Are you sure you have the correct com ports and the driver is installed correctly.

Can you give us a picture of the problem you are having. You can use print screen to capture a image of the screen.

-Dan

December 01, 2011
by nhscte

ok the update.

here is what I did in the last couple of days. I have a computer loaded with UNBUTU version 11.04 (latest and greatest, maybe a mistake) updated it and loaded the programs suggested; avrdude, gcc-avr, and avr-libc ( must say this was pretty slick once i figured it out).

just to make sure i dis assembled my nerds kit, then i reassembled the kit and tested it. I can read and wrie on it using a different computer running windows (my teacher workstation) everything worked.

tried it on the linux machine and received this error which i copied below >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mhscte@electric-1:~/docs/Code/initialload$ make

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7886 bytes):

Writing | | 0% 0.00savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1 mhscte@electric-1:~/docs/Code/initialload$

in addition to that here is the code I am using as well

makefile code below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GCCFLAGS=-g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

all: initialload-upload

initialload.hex: initialload.c make -C ../libnerdkits avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o initialload.o initialload.c ${LINKOBJECTS} avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex initialload.o initialload.hex

initialload.ass: initialload.hex avr-objdump -S -d initialload.o > initialload.ass

initialload-upload: initialload.hex avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

initialload code below >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

// initialload.c // for NerdKits with ATmega168 // mrobbins@mit.edu

define F_CPU 14745600

include <stdio.h>

include <avr/io.h>

include <avr/interrupt.h>

include <avr/pgmspace.h>

include <inttypes.h>

include "../libnerdkits/delay.h"

include "../libnerdkits/lcd.h"

// PIN DEFINITIONS: // // PC4 -- LED anode

int main() { // LED as output DDRC |= (1<<PC4);

// turn on LED PORTC |= (1<<PC4);

// fire up the LCD lcd_init(); lcd_home();

// print message to screen // 20 columns wide: // 01234567890123456789 lcd_line_one(); lcd_write_string(PSTR(" Congratulations! ")); lcd_line_two(); lcd_write_string(PSTR("****")); lcd_line_three(); lcd_write_string(PSTR(" Your USB NerdKit ")); lcd_line_four(); lcd_write_string(PSTR(" is alive! "));

// turn off that LED PORTC &= ~(1<<PC4);

// busy loop while(1) { // do nothing }

return 0; }

wow that was a lot!!!.

sorry for the length but hep would be greatly appreciated.

December 01, 2011
by nhscte

Ok figured out the problem for the windows xp professioanl issue, after finding some cues in the forum. I must have the Nerdkit switched to write (up) before I turn it on (I put a switch on the power supply to make it easier to turn on and off).

I am happy half the problem fixed.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) can be used to control the speed of a motor digitally? Learn more...