NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Msdos dir command locked.

December 01, 2011
by EdCooper

I am running Windows XP SP3. When I get into the DOS mode The screen displays " C:/Documents and Settings/X(Represents my user name)>. I have used all variations of the "dir" command that I can think of but it stays locked inside of the above stated display. It doesn't recognize the "cd <directory> command. Has anybody got any Ideas?

December 02, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Ed,

That is quite strange, I have never seen that before. So you are saying you can't seem to type anything in the command line at all, or does it just not recognize the commands you are typing?

Humberto

December 02, 2011
by EdCooper

When I access the start menu and click Run and then type cmd I go to the dos screen. Normally you would think the screen would just display C: and the dir command would show every folder on the c drive. But instead of just C: It displays c:/Documents and Settings/ X(represents my user name>. Whatever variation of "dir" command I use it keeps me within the Documents and Settings folder. Somehow I need to be able to get the DOS screen to display the whole C drive.

December 02, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Ed,

It looks to me like you are just having trouble moving around the directories on the command line. Take a look through this library article about the command line. It should help you get started moving around. Let us know if you still have issues.

Humberto

December 02, 2011
by Ralphxyz

So Ed said:

But instead of just C: It displays c:/Documents and Settings/ X(represents my user name>.

Try cd ..

or cd ../ or ../..

.. backs you up one directory.

Ralph

December 03, 2011
by EdCooper

Thanks When I tried the command cd I kept getting an error message. I must not have entered the right syntax.

December 04, 2011
by EdCooper

I have another problem! in the Devise Manager under Ports I show this; Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(Com5). Under properties I see: Ports (COM & LPT), Prolific, Location 0 (USB-Serial Controller), This device is working properly. My DOS screen is as follows. Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsEdward Cooper>cd ..

C:Documents and Settings>cd ..

C:>cd Code

C:Code>cd initialload

C:Codeinitialload>dir Volume in drive C is 200GB Volume Serial Number is 399C-0A60

Directory of C:Codeinitialload

12/04/2011 09:58 AM <DIR> . 12/04/2011 09:58 AM <DIR> .. 05/01/2010 04:31 PM 969 initialload.c 12/04/2011 09:58 AM 21,973 initialload.hex 12/04/2011 09:58 AM 22,276 initialload.o 12/04/2011 10:24 AM 643 Makefile 4 File(s) 45,861 bytes 2 Dir(s) 180,656,984,064 bytes free

C:Codeinitialload>make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyCOM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyCOM5": The system cannot find th e path specified.

make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

C:Codeinitialload>

I have checked all of my connections and they are okay. Has anyone got any idea what's wrong?

December 04, 2011
by JKITSON

I think you need to remove the /dev/tty and only use the COM5. Try and see if this helps.

Jim

December 05, 2011
by EdCooper

Thanks again. This solved my problem.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can follow NerdKits on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter? Learn more...