NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » kirchhoff's voltage law...

December 24, 2011
by jbolfiil

I am pretty new to electronics and I am trying to self-teach myself... But I am reading up on Kirchhoff's voltage law and had a question. What is even the significance of this law? the total voltage drop across of all the loads are equal to the supply voltage.. when you measure all of the voltage drops with the multimeter's probes backwards, you get negative numbers; and when you add those numbers, you get 0. It seems common sense to me so I don't know why it is a law. Am I missing something about Kirchhoff's voltage law?

December 25, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi jbolfiil,

I don't think you are missing anything, it is just a fundamental law of electronics that is absolutely true all the time. Once you start working out more electronics problems you will see that you end up using this law quite often.

Humberto

December 25, 2011
by jbolfiil

alright hopefully once I start analyzing more circuits I will understand it more, thanks for the reply!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can adjust most wire strippers to make it easier to strip insulation faster? Learn more...