NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » How hot is too hot for the voltage regulator

January 02, 2012
by curly51248

Hi,

I have everything working just fine in a hybrid project using both the LCD and the LED (5X8) array. The power source is the plug that came with the LED kit.

I have noticed that the voltage regulator gets warm... At what point should I get worried about this? What is a safe remedy?

Thanks in advance,

January 03, 2012
by Rick_S

The data sheet for the one I looked up had an operating temperature of -40°C to 150°C (-40°F to +302°F) and also has thermal overload protection where it will just shut down if it gets too hot. If you are concerned, you could purchase a heatsink for it. If you are in the US, I believe Radio Shack still sells them.

Rick

January 06, 2012
by boxvic

It can get hot enough to burn skin and still function, I know that from painful experience with similar regulators. Like Rick_S said, this should have a thermal-shut down, so unless you are shorting something it shouldn't get so hot that it cooks itself. I can't guarantee that I won't get hot enough to melt something near it though.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that microcontrollers have two different kinds of memory, program space (flash) and SRAM? Learn more...