NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » i/o to port

January 06, 2012
by tchilzer2

In embedded programming sec. 5 of the Nertkit Guide it says: "but we are also going to be printing out the values to the serial connection so you can read them from your computer if you want to." My question is, how is this accomplished? is there sample code? can I accomplish this in code::blocks c or c++? mabe vb? or is there a runtime environment in the avr program I downloaded? Thank you in advance :)

January 06, 2012
by pcbolt

@ tchilzer2

I don't have the Nerdkit guide handy at the moment, but I think this is part of the "tempsensor" project. The communications is transmitted by the USB/Serial cable which is the same one used to program the chip, only this time data is going from the MCU to your computer. Programs like Hyperterminal (Windows) can read this data stream. There is sample code (MCU side) if you open the uart.c file in the libnerdkits directory. You can check this forum thread for some computer side code (VB and C)..

Forum link

January 06, 2012
by tchilzer2

Hello pcbolt,

First I want to thank you for the clues as to where to beggin. I looked into Hyperterminal but I do not wish to pay that kind of money for this porpuse however, through looking I ran across a program named PuTTY. It is also an emulator that looks like it could do the job. I have already run into another problem though. It persists as follows:

After installing and opening the program, I selected serial from the left side menu panel. When I did it gave me options for port, baud, stop bit and so on (and these setting are either defaulted or detected.) Anyway with all settings filled in I click "open" and all that happens is a ding. no error message nothing just ding over and over. I tried running the program as administrator and get the same result. I tried scanning the manual for trouble shooting and come up with nothing. From here I am stuck. Is there a solution to this issue?

January 06, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi tchilzer2,

We have an example of serial port communication on our Servo Squirter tutorial. It should get you started with using Putty.

Humberto

January 06, 2012
by tchilzer2

hevans,

Thank you so much! After revewing your tutorial It is working perfectly! I have read through the night on reading and writting to the port to try and accomplish this task. I got a lot of very complicated results. This program has made this job cake! I have to say I absolutely love this kit and all the support I have gotten to make it work. I have learned so much in just a few days. I noticed that not only do you do your youtube tutorials, but you also try and respond to most of the threads on hear. Plus you realy know your stuff! Thats a lot of work. Thank you again!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or milling machine? Learn more...