NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Initial Load

March 23, 2012
by brantong

Hello all. I have hade some electronics but am new to programming. I had my Nerd kits working to a point where I had the congrats screen running. I hooked up the usb and installed software and it seemed to be uploading but I had an error avrdude error buffered memory access not supported, maybe it isn'y a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device. Now the original program is not running when switched out of programming mode and all I get is some squares on the LCD. I am using windows XP Thanks in advance

March 23, 2012
by pcbolt

Hi brantong -

This is a common problem but it doesn't have a common solution. There are a bunch of things that can cause it. To track down the problem, you'd be best off posting some pics of your setup and also the contents of the "Makefile" you are using. In the meantime, you can look over some solutions in the FAQ section of the Members tab up above. The location is Here.

March 25, 2012
by brantong

Hi again. Thank you for your response. I went through and rewired the whole thing. while I was at it I hard wired the 7805 and put a dc wall adapter on it. I measured the voltage on out of the 7805 and got 4.90 VDC under load. I'm just getting two rows of boxes along the display. I'm going to try to re-program it a little later and see what happens. I've included a pic of my wiring. Thanks again. my wiring

March 25, 2012
by pcbolt

@ brantong

Looks OK. I can't see the voltage regulator, but if you were able to see 4.9v at the red rail that should be fine. Of course you'll still need the switch at pin 14 so you can ground the pin while programming and the USB green wire to pin 3, yellow to pin 2, black to ground rail and red to an open row on the breadboard but other that it should work. You might have to explicitly set the baud rate in XP to 115200 (long shot) and double check the Makefile (post it if possible w/ a screen shot of the error messages). Hope all goes well and if it works let the forum know what you did to fix it beacuse like I said before...common error...uncommon solutions.

March 25, 2012
by brantong

Success. Thank you for all your help. Somehow the chip must have gotten un programmed during the first attempt. Probably a loose connection.Hard wireing to always used components will help a lot for future projects. I also plan on wiring a permanent power switch and a programming switch before I go a lot further Thanks again.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build an analog amplifier with one transistor and a few resistors? Learn more...