NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Controlling 240V AC with nerdkit

April 05, 2012
by exussum

Hi,

What component would be best suited for this ? Im guessing an optocoupler but not 100% sure which one.

Any suggestions ?

April 05, 2012
by exussum

Would the 12V version of this work ?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/10A-Miniature-power-relays-82381

assuming a 12V power supply hooked up to it controlled by a transistor from the nerdkit ?

April 05, 2012
by Ralphxyz

What are you trying to control? Possible a Triac would work, there are always relays and then power transistors.

Are you looking for On/Off or variable voltage?

But yes you can control a transistor that controls a relay with the mcu/nerdkit.

Ralph

April 05, 2012
by exussum

a 5A power socket looking for on/off switch. So when the nerdkit gives the signal there is a fully functioning wall socket. So what ever is connected to it is powered up

April 05, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Well of course I have to ask what gives the signal to the Nerdkit to give the signal to turn on the 110 v.?

Yes, you can control a relay to switch the 110 v. AC from the Nerdkit.

Ralph

April 05, 2012
by exussum

its 240v (UK power). Nerdkit will be powered by a 12V input through the voltage regulator and taking a few inputs to decide and send the signal. So nerdkits side I will have the 5v output when the pin is turned high and the 12 V from the input voltage if needed.

Looking at http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/10A-Miniature-power-relays-82381

I would need a 12VDC input to switch the 240V 10A output on ? if im reading that correctly

April 05, 2012
by Ralphxyz

The 60-1256 has a 12 volt coil. That should work fine.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use printf and scanf functions to talk to your computer from your USB NerdKit? Learn more...