NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Start up problem

July 22, 2012
by pparijatt

I'm trying to get started with the initial circuit connections, the circuit seems to be connected fine, the contrast resistor is correct, but no data on the LCD. The LCD gets power, i.e. all 4 lines light up, but no data. Help!

July 22, 2012
by Ralphxyz

all 4 lines light up,

That's strange a normal setup in programing mode is two lines!

I would suspect a wiring error.

Strip you LCD wiring and re-do it.

You'll be amazed how fast you get at doing that after three or four times.

Ralph

Ralph

July 26, 2012
by USCRET

We bought the Nerdkit to do the Capacitive Touch Sensor Halloween project. I'm a little confused on how to use the source code. I am a true beginner and I can't wait to get this thing working. Once we get the initial temp sensor project done, where can I go to get the details for the CTS?

July 27, 2012
by Rick_S

If all four lines are still "lit up", I'd double check the contrast resistor. The 10K (Brown Black Orange) is easily mistaken for the 1K (Brown Black Red). If that isn't it, there has to be another wiring issue some where or possibly a weak battery.

As for the Halloween project, what you see on the tutorial page for the Capacitve Proximity Sensor is what there is. The video, illustrations, and text pretty much sum it all up once you have your basic NerdKit up and running.

Rick

July 27, 2012
by pcbolt

@ USCRET -

• "where can I go to get the details for the CTS?"

When you get closer to building the project and have specific questions, just post here and there should be plenty of people willing to help out. To use the source code the NK guys have posted, you just need to make a directory at the same level as your "initialload" directory, copy the source code file to it and copy a "makefile" from any project to the new directory (the makefile in the "initialload" directory will work fine). All you need to do is open the copied over makefile in a text editor and search/replace "initialload" with "halloween".

Good luck!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that an analog comparator can tell when one voltage input crosses another? Learn more...