NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Where to buy GPS modules with different interfaces

November 04, 2012
by fishberg5051

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a gps module that has the following features 1) exposes date/time from the satellites ....and of course lat/long/heading etc 2)offers a different interface other than uart. I2c or SPI would be nice.

I've seen some that offer 1 of my requirements but not both and I'm not sure where to look or what best to look for. I've tried mouser.com, currently looking at one on parallax.com (vpn1513) but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I'm using a 1284P for a project and I'm only using one uart port (out of 2) but want to leave the other uart open for future expansion (GSM/CDMA) or debug port. I currently have an sd card on one spi line, but according to my datasheet 3 are supported so I thought I'd go that route if I can. I have a RTC module on my i2c which if the gps module can provide the date/time from the satellites I could remove.

so that is my line of thinking I'd be open to any other suggestions that I haven't mentioned or ones I don't even know about :D

Thanks all for your time and I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Fish

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a piezoelectric buzzer can be used in reverse as a microphone? Learn more...