NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Wire broke off in LCD pin

November 23, 2012
by gsjbjt

I must have accidentally scored a wire when I stripped it, and it broke off as I was putting it in the LCD pin, getting it stuck in the slot. I tried tapping it multiple times but it doesn't budge. On a second attempt I was trying to flick it out with a needle, and it got pushed in even further to the point where you can hardly see it anymore.

Will the LCD still work with the wire in there? Is there any way to get it out now with it in so deep? Thanks for your help!

November 23, 2012
by BobaMosfet

Take your display to a locksmith, and see if he can use what is called a 'broken key extractor' to get the wire out without damaging anything. He has the necessary tools to see it and to work on it.

BM

November 23, 2012
by missle3944

Gsjbjt,.

This happened to me a few years ago. I got the wire lead stuck in pin 1 of the LCD header. Luckily the LCD still works without having to even use pin 1.

What pin is yours stuck in? If its a data pin then you might have to do what boba suggested.

-Dan

November 23, 2012
by missle3944

Gsjbjt,.

This happened to me a few years ago. I got the wire lead stuck in pin 1 of the LCD header. Luckily the LCD still works without having to even use pin 1.

What pin is yours stuck in? If its a data pin then you might have to do what boba suggested.

-Dan

November 24, 2012
by sask55

Gsjbjt.

I imagine you are aware. I thought I might add in case you never thought of it. If you know of someone that has access to a fine point soldering iron you could continue to use the LCD by soldering a wire directly to the LCD board.

Darryl

November 26, 2012
by gsjbjt

Thank you all for your suggestions! It was in pin 6 and I ended up just sticking another wire in--a little loose, but it still works! I will keep your suggestions in mind in case anything happens again.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build an analog amplifier with one transistor and a few resistors? Learn more...