NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » cu.PL2303-0000211A Not showing up on Mac

December 29, 2012
by ztechguy

Hi, Just installed all the drivers for the Nerdkit on my Mac, but when I list the files in /dev, cu.PL2303-0000211A is not showing up and my nerd kit is plugged in and it is in programming mode. Please post any help.

-ztechguy

December 29, 2012
by Ralphxyz

I'd re-install the drivers, make sure you have the latest.

Ralph

December 29, 2012
by ztechguy

I just tried to reinstall the drivers on another machine running the latest version of OS X (10.8.2) and the drivers. Any other suggestions I should try?

-ztechguy

December 29, 2012
by ztechguy

EDIT: Just installed this driver: http://changux.co/osx-installer-to-pl2303-serial-usb-on-osx-lio and it showed up! My only problem now is that when I try to execute the "make" command, it gives me this error message

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyUSB0": No such file or directory make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

December 29, 2012
by keith712

hi ztechguy...

i'm new at this but on my mac i finally found a file called cu.usbserial... when i pasted '/dev/cu.usbserial' at the end of the line starting with 'AVRDUDEFLAGS' in my project's makefiles my mac and my nerdkit communicate... if that works for you you will see a new unconfigured usb-serial device in your System Preferences/Network...

i just did a quick check but i stupidly didn't take notes on where i found cu.usbserial... i remember using the Terminal and i think i started in the /usr directory... but i wasn't able to find it just now... let me know what you discover...

keith

December 29, 2012
by pcbolt

ztechguy -

I copied this from the NK guide (pg 42)...

Mac users need to check /dev for a device like /dev/cu.PL2303-0000211A Using
the terminal, list the files in the /dev folder, you should see a file like
cu.PL2303-0000211A the last 4 numbers will change depending on which port
you plug it into. You need to open the Makefile in a text editor and edit the line
that begins with AVRDUDEFLAGS. At the end you need to change
“/dev/ttyUSB0” to “/dev/cu.PL2303-0000211A” or whatever you saw in the
the /dev directory.

If you are on Mac you might have to give yourself write access to the Code
folder on your hard drive:
1. Select the Code folder in the Finder.
2. From the File menu, choose Show.
3. Choose Ownership and Permissions.
4. Change the permissions to give yourself read and write access.
5. Hit apply to enclosed items

Hope it helps.

December 30, 2012
by Ralphxyz

like /dev/cu.PL2303-0000211A

Does not work for the newest version of OS X

You have to use /dev/cu.usbserial as is noted in a lot of threads here in the Nerdkit forum.

One of the business challenges of doing a business like Nerdkits is updating web pages, it never seems to be worth the effort. Everybody who originated the site has moved on to "greater" responsibilities so it is no longer their problem.

Ralph

December 31, 2012
by keith712

ztechguy...

please disregard my incoherent post above. here's what i was trying to say:

Ralph is correct... i'm running a macbook air osx 10.8.2... i downloaded and installed Crosspack-AVR-20121207 (http://www.obdev.at/products/crosspack/download.html) to replace the AVRMacPack from nerdkits... after i did that i found cu.usbserial and tty.usbserial in the /dev directory... i went with /dev/cu.usbserial and my makefiles work... i've never tried /dev/tty.usbserial but it may work also...

hope this helps and happy new year!

December 31, 2012
by pcbolt
  • Everybody who originated the site has moved on to "greater" responsibilities so it is no longer their problem

Ralph, is that "official"? What I mean is, did you contact Humberto and Mike by e-mail and got that response from them? Or is it a general observation on your part?

December 31, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Just general observations, I have seen it happen on numerous forums and web sites.

Even though it helps to pay the bills it is just never worth the effort. I also have been a so called web master in charge of a web site and I was surprised how low on the list updating the web site was. There was always something new that took priority.

They are a couple of issues with the Nerdkit's download.

The current OS X driver

The ToolChain

Is there others?

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits believes in the importance of a mixture of meaningful topics, clear instruction, and engaging projects? Learn more...