NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Ground Temperature

January 30, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hey Paul (Noter) did you ever get your ground temperature project going?

We talked about it a bit a couple of years ago.

I believe I got some of those DOW DS18B20 devices but haven't gotten around to putting a project together.

I really like the “parasite power” concept.

I'd like to see if other devices could use that power source and capacitor idea.

Ralph

January 30, 2013
by Noter

Hi Ralph, No I never dug the hole and finished that project. Still on my list of things to do some day. The parasite power setup for the DS18B20 looks like more trouble than it's worth unless you are going to have some really long wires and having one less would amount to substantial savings. By the way, that RS232 to TTL circuit I've posted a couple of times gets its power from the tx line on the PC and charges a capacitor to power the other side of the circuit for the rx signal.

January 30, 2013
by Ralphxyz

For anything I do I would use a power supply but just the concept is interesting.

I'll look at your RS232 to TTL circuit again plus I think I have seen the concept in other circuits.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a microcontroller can measure an RC time constant? Learn more...