NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » PN [WinAVR]Make All - works once and then doesn't

February 21, 2013
by Blackwatch42nd

Hi All, Been away for awhile but I'm back (for awhile anyway.
I'm having problems with the "Make All" tool in Programmers Notepad. If I uninstall and then reinstall (as user or administrator, make no difference)I can "sometimes" get the Make All tool to work once or maybe twice and then I get this in the Output window of PN:

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM3 -U flash:w:LCDScrollTest.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S
    Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "LCDScrollTest.hex"
avrdude: input file LCDScrollTest.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (7756 bytes):

Writing | avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: write block
make.exe: *** [LCDScrollTest-upload] Error 1

If I run Make from the command line it works fine. Any ideas? Thanx John

February 21, 2013
by Noter

I see this behavior when I forget to exit the terminal emulator before running make. Any other program that is connected to the port will interfere with make.

February 21, 2013
by Blackwatch42nd

Noter, Well it's true I did have the dos window open. However. even afetr I closed it, unplugged the USB cable and replugged it back in, still getting the same message. John

February 21, 2013
by Noter

Well, it was just a thought. Maybe you could reboot and then go directly to programmers notepad and see if make will run ok. If it still doesn't then must be some other cause.

February 21, 2013
by Blackwatch42nd

Well, thanx for the thought. Tried the reboot and ran PN with only it open. Stil same message.

February 21, 2013
by Blackwatch42nd

Apparetnly the program know the chip is there becasue it seems to erase it. Don't know what to think.

February 21, 2013
by Noter

Yes, it's working until it starts transferring the program in blocks of data. If it was wiring or anything physical it wouldn't work from the command prompt either so it's hard to say what the problem is but seems to be something with programmers notepad. Sorry but I can't help much more because I run linux so can't really do any testing or verification. Maybe another windows user will come along with some ideas or at least be able to reproduce the problem.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can input numbers in binary via a DIP switch, and output them to the LCD? Learn more...