NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Re-Purposing old Consumer Electronics with a Flexible Circuit connector

March 11, 2013
by therealmitchconnors

Dear NerdKits community,

Like most of you, I have a veritable truck load of old and broken consumer electronics sitting around the house, and I was hoping I could re-purpose some of it using my NerdKit as an educational project. The problem is that mos of the components use Flexible Printed Circuitry for connectivity, which requires connectors like this one. Is there a simple way of getting these connectors stepped up to breadboard size? I have been googling fpc breakout boards, but have come up short. Any help would be appreciated...

therealmitchconnors

March 11, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Hi Mitch, you should be able to just stick some male jumper wires into any outlet holes and possible use the device.

I could not get much from your connector link. It does not have to look pretty to work :-)

Ralph

March 11, 2013
by therealmitchconnors

Thanks for the advice! The device itself is pretty small... The FPC connectors only measure 0.2 mm each, so I doubt I could get jumpers to be accurate. I was hoping to find something like this, but I need 39 pins...

March 18, 2013
by therealmitchconnors

After scouring the web, I finally found this, which should do the job. Now to buy the connectors to wire it to an AtMega128 prototyping board. Thanks for the advice. If I ever get this working, I will post to let everyone know how it went.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a circuit to convert the "dit" and "dah" of Morse code back into letters automatically? Learn more...