NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Temporarily sold out!

October 31, 2013
by Jer

When are you going to have stuff to sell?!

Because you did not have any 328Ps to sell I was forced to buy a ATAVRISP2 which did not come with any instruction at all! Now I'm stuck with it and still no way to program my chips! I feel that this AVRISP mlII is a big pile of crap!

Please HELP!!

October 31, 2013
by Jer

What's going on? Are you guys shutting down NerdKits? Can you give me a way to program blank 328P chips?

October 31, 2013
by Noter

There are a lot of posts on how to program blank chips, search the forum you will find them. Certainly many posts on the web on how to use the MKIII too or you can get a usbasp programmer like Rick suggests on his blog at rs-micro.com which you would have found if you searched the forum.

I think the nerdkits store is over and out. Probably this forum is not far behind.

October 31, 2013
by BobaMosfet

Jer-

AVRISP MkII is actually a very good programmer. If you use it, in conjunction with WinAVR, it provides an almost seemless way to program chips (no bootloader required). Yes, it takes a little bit to learn how to use, and it should have come with at least some documentation, but in the end it's worth it.

I'm going to be opening a parts store, soon (and forum), so keep watching this board. Not only will I be providing thousands of parts, but many other things as well, including kits, and knick-knack mini-kits you can use to help you more easily use AVRISP MkII with a breadboard (and other things).

Don't give up hope, a new home is coming, and it will link back to this site, so you'll have both resources available. I am doing this specifically for people like you, that need and want a good, reliable resource for components, knowledge, and community. I have a lot of things planned that I think everyone will enjoy.

We had to revise our database schema for retail offerings in this field, so we rewrote the book on electronic component indexing systems (whitepaper to be published in coming months) and implemented a parametric search feature for all the components, kits, and other things we will be offering.

BM

October 31, 2013
by Jer

OK But I need it a solution NOW!

I work for a small company and made test equipment bases on the 328p w/bootloader and now my boss has committed to make 20 of these units I designed. In fact the board have already been made! This could not happen at a more worse time! I have a hard dead line and if I don't make it, My job will be DEAD! So just go ahead and explain how to program using the AVRISP MkII programmer with WinAVR now please.

October 31, 2013
by Rick_S

Getting rude doesn't help. We are all just end users as well and not affiliated with the NK site owners. We are only tied to each other by the friendships we made along the way helping each other. While i can empathize with your predicament, there is more than enough information in these forums to show you how to load a bootloader. You can use your avrisp with avrdude to program your chips. Atmels website should have info for that programmer and how to connect it. Otherwise, reading my blog post will give you a very good idea of the process.

October 31, 2013
by JKITSON

Thanks Rick for a very good reply. You are much better with words than me.

I check this site 4 to 5 times each day & have learned so much. Jim

October 31, 2013
by Jer

I'm sorry! But on the other hand What did I say that was rude!

October 31, 2013
by Jer

I only stated the situation that I'm in.

October 31, 2013
by Jer

So the question still stands, HOW do I program a Atmega328P using AVRISP MkII programmer with WinAVR.

PS I Did not mean to offend anyone!

October 31, 2013
by Jer

Or is there a way that I could order a QTY. of 20 '328Ps? with the boot loader preprogramed ASAP?

I Hope that this did not offend anyone.

October 31, 2013
by Jer

PS Thanks for all the help!

October 31, 2013
by Noter

I'll be happy to put the bootloader on for you but I don't have 20 chips on hand so I'd have to order them (3 days), put the bootloader on them (10 mins), and send them to you (3 days). If you want to do that then send me email nerdkitnoter@gmail.com. Or maybe BM would like to do it since he's setting up for retail in his electronics business.

But really, if you would start searching and reading now you would probably have it figured out by tomorrow or over the weekend for sure. I don't have/use the MKII so I can't give any specific help but there is a ton of stuff about it on the on the web.

November 01, 2013
by Jer

When will Nerdkits have stuff to sell like the ATmega328P?

November 01, 2013
by Jer

Hi Rick_S

I have searched the web and so far I have not found anything that describes how to use the ATAVRISP2 with WinAVR.

November 01, 2013
by BobaMosfet

Jer,

Hopefully your PCB has the necessary 6-pin Box header on it, designed for ISP programming. If you failed to put that on, it's going to be much harder to use. Secondly, the AVRisp MkII should have come with a CD with a manual, and with a driver, as it is a USB device and should be recognized by the system in the Device Manger under 'Jungo'.

Other than that, it's very easy to use. Inside WinAVR, you go to the menu, after compiling your project, choose Tools->Program AVR->Auto Connect and it should connect to your micro-controller.

Inside this interface are a number of tabs. You'll need to set the speed and then verify it can read a signature before anything else. once there, set your fuses and lockbits properly, erase a chip and hit Program and it should do it.

We all had to dig this information out ourselves.

If you got to Google and enter "How to set up and use AVRisp MkII", there is lots of information readily available.

BM

November 01, 2013
by Rick_S

You might check THIS link as well as read my bootloader install instructions. Hopefully that will get you going.

November 02, 2013
by Ralphxyz

"I was forced to buy a ATAVRISP2 which did not come with any instruction at all! "

Jer, did you Buy a Atmel ATAVRISP2 or did you save $10.00 bucks and buy an ebay clone?

If you have a Atmel device then just download Atmel Studio install it, select your device and load the bootloader after the install less than two minutes. I do not know how Atmel Studio behaves with clone devices.

Ralph

November 04, 2013
by Jer

I got mine from MOUSER.

November 04, 2013
by Jer

It's the real device not a clone. And I have installed the Atmel Studio.

Thanks

November 04, 2013
by Ralphxyz

So what is your problem?

Do you need help with Atmel Studio? I do not use it often but I do use it when flashing the bootloader so it is a simple operation.

You would probable find a step by step instructions searching the forum, I am sure I have done that in the past. Search for Atmel studio or just studio.

Ralph

November 04, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Jer, towards the bottom of this thread I have screen shots of loading the bootloader using Atmel Studio 6!!

Boy it's great looking back at some of the great, helpful discussions we have had here over the years. Thanks everyone.

Ralph

November 04, 2013
by Jer

OK After resolving the USB driver problems it started to show signs of life. Plus the CD I received from Atmel did not Auto Install the USB Driver. It just sent me to a web site. I figured out that I needed to install the studio but it does not load the USB driver.

Here is the link provided Kevin Xiong from Atmel Technical Support Team http://gallery.atmel.com/Products/Details/30543dd1-3e5b-4b2d-943a-8e53a5ab9d33?

Of course I had to do the typical thing with windows Un-Install Re-Install until it started to work.

The next key thing to do is to set the Fuses correctly for the 328P.

So Step by step: 1) Load the Atmel-Studio. 2) Install the USB Driver. (Might be web dependent) 3) Select the "Device Programing" from the Tools menu. 4) Select the Tool "AVRISP mkII" in the dropdown, (upper RT). If not seen might be something wrong with the driver. Recheck Device Manager and Reload Driver. 4) Select the device to be program from the drop down: "ATmega328P" 5) Select the Interface: "ISP" This is the only valid selection so it's preselected. 6) Press the [Apply] button. If an Error MSG pop-up does not show up the driver is ok. 7) Connect the "AVRISP mkII" to the target device via the programming connector. 8) Select the “Interface settings” menu from the left hand side. 8.1) Set the SIP clock speed. Note: I selected the ISP Clock to be 125KHz. 9) Click on both [Read] buttons for "Device signature" and "Target Voltage" Note: The board that has the uC 328P need to supply the 5Volts power. 10) Next Set the Fuses by Clicking on the "Fuses" menu on the left hand side. 10.1) On the bottom of this page you will see a “Fuse Register” and “Value” columns. 10.2) Manually enter these values: Extended = 0xFD High = 0xD2 Low = 0xF7 10.3) Click the [Program] button. You should see the the following: Starting operation verify registers Verify register EXTENDED...OK Verify register HIGH...OK Verify register LOW...OK Verify registers ...OK

11) Select the HEX file to flash with.
     11.1) click the “Memories” menu on the left hand side.
 11.2) Click the […] button to navigate to the hex file to program the 328P with.
     11.3) Click the [Program] button.
           You should see the following:
        Erasing device... OK
               Programming Flash...OK
               Verifying Flash...OK
        “This should be it I have verified my programed 328P and it WORKED!”
        “My project uses the RS-232 at 115.2K baud and the LCD and the delay functions and its all seems to be perfect!”
November 04, 2013
by Jer

Not happy with the CD from Atmel. It should not be web dependent. I personally keep my projects on an isolated PC and download what I need from the web from my crappy web PC but of course this causes me difficulties from time to time. "like this time... (I think)"

November 06, 2013
by Ralphxyz

Jer, I would have step 7 as step 1!!

7) Connect the "AVRISP mkII" to the target device via the programming connector.

Having it connected before you start might make the setup easier.

But is it working for you? Have you been able to load the bootloader?

Ralph

November 12, 2013
by Jer

Yes!
Thanks Ralph.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that inductors try to keep their current constant over short periods of time? Learn more...