NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Beginners

November 09, 2009
by Brandon

I am trying to prepare for programming and I do not have a device manager in my control panel, I need to check what COM port the usb cable loaded as.

November 09, 2009
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Brandon,

The device manager is not directly on the Control Panel. From the Control Panel, double click the system icon. The System Properties window should come up. Click the Hardware Tab, and you should see a button for the Device Manager. Let me know if you still can't find it.

Humberto

November 09, 2009
by Brandon

ok thanx,, i got that all figured out, now I am having trouble-with cmd ,, I cant get the make file command to work ?? any ideas?

November 09, 2009
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Brandon,

I need more information so I can figure what problem you are having. Go ahead and send us an email to support <at> nerdkits <dot> com. Include in that email either a screenshot of the error you are getting on the command line, or copy paste the command line text into the email for me. I will be glad to help you out.

Humberto

November 09, 2009
by Brandon

basically step 10c -co,, I type in "make" and no make file appears the cmd says "No targets specified and no make file"

November 09, 2009
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Brandon,

That error means the 'make' command cannot find the Makefile, which means you are not in the right folder. You need to use the cd command to change directory into the right folder. Depending on where you put your Code folder on your hard drive you will need to navigate up and down the folders with the cd command. It is kind of like navigating the folders on your hard drive with My Computer, except you are using a command line interface.

If you send me that email with your command line output, I can get a better idea of where you are, and probably be a bit more specific.

Let me know how it goes!

Humberto

April 10, 2010
by beenjammin

I've wrote the code for the temp sensor and the makefile runs the code. But, I get an error that isn't listed, so I'm stuck. I've emailed the support staff with a screen shot.

April 22, 2010
by devinsbusiness

Okay, I am completely lost here. Can you please walk me through it step by step. I have downloaded the source code to C:UsersDevinDownloads. It is still a .zip file. What do I need to do next? I tried to unzip it once. When I would type in make it would give me an error message which I cannot remember. I know I should have written it down. I went back and deleted all of the unzipped files so I can start from square one and get it right. I know absolutely nothing about command line so I may need a little special help at first. Also, I am using Windows 7 if that makes any difference. Any help at all would be great.

April 22, 2010
by devinsbusiness

Me Again. I figured out how to work my way through the directories in cmd line. I got it!!

April 22, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi devinsbusiness,

Glad you figured it out! Keep us posted on your progress.

Humberto

November 15, 2010
by igondjo32

hi i have a question on my ledarry kit do i program the chip before i put it on the final project or program the chip on the project board itself one of the step is not specific on my project if you guys can clarify it for me a little beat thanks.

November 15, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi igondjo32,

As long as you have access to the chip (to flip it back and forth between programming and running mode) it should not really matter whether you program the chip before or after. In fact if you are following the LED Array Guide (which I strongly suggest you do) you will reprogram the chip at several stages throughout the build process, each time adding more functionality.

I strongly suggest you take your time with the projects on the USB NerdKits Guide as they give you the grounding you need to move on to other more complicated projects. If you race through the projects without really trying to understand them you certainly might succeed with them, but you will not be better off for it.

Also, to create a new thread you can go to any of our main forums and just create a new thread if your question is not exactly related to something currently being discussed in a thread. This will help us keep all the threads relevant to a specific topic.

Humberto

November 22, 2010
by Harpster

I'm a little late with this, but the only way I could access the Device Manager on my system here at school (it's a little locked down) was through the cmd.

Just type:

mmc devmgmt.msc

and it should pop right up.

P.S. I get a warning that reminds me I can't change anything, which I have to click past first.

December 02, 2010
by igondjo32

hi everybody i am having a complication with my nerdkit 1- when i compile the instruction it goes well 2- when i try to program the instruction into the mcu here the message i get

"make.exe" program make.eexe***no rule to make 'program'. stop. Process Exit code : 2 Time Taken:00:00 is any one can help me understand it and continue with my programing.

December 02, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi igondjo32,

I think this error means you are not in the right folder on the command line, you need to cd your way into your initiallod folder and then run

make

from the command line. If you provide a screenshot of your error we might be able to help you a little better.

Humberto

December 02, 2010
by igondjo32

hi hevans i was trying to turn on each led than off are you saying that bedore doing this i sould load initiaload first ?

GCCFLAGS=-g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM4 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

all: ledarray-upload

ledarray.hex: ledarray.c make -C ../libnerdkits avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o ledarray.o ledarray.c ${LINKOBJECTS} avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex ledarray.o ledarray.hex

ledarray.ass: ledarray.hex avr-objdump -S -d ledarray.o > ledarray.ass

ledarray-upload: ledarray.hex avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:ledarray.hex:a

December 03, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi igondjo32,

I didn't know you were trying to load the led array code. I though you were trying to load the initialload code.

The LED Array Project has its own Makefiles that should be in the Code folder you download as part of the LED Array Project. If you cd your way into that folder and type make it should find the Makefile and execute it.

Humberto

December 04, 2010
by igondjo32

hi hevans here one issue i have after[WIN AVR] Make ALL i get the message bellow

"make.exe" all avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM4 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7794 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.03s

avrdude: 7794 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against initialload.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file initialload.hex: avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file initialload.hex contains 7794 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.80s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 7794 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

Process Exit Code: 0 Time Taken: 00:04

than i have the following probleme when i am using [WINAvr]program avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 7794 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

Process Exit Code: 0 Time Taken: 00:04 this is what i get can you tell me what is wrong about the whole picture thanks

December 05, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi igondjo32,

This is not an error message, it looks like you successfully managed to load the initialload load program onto your chip.

Humberto

December 06, 2010
by igondjo32

hi hevans i got this message and i do not know what is the meaning of all that i was trying to program my chip a second time when i got this

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P co> "make.exe" all m5 -U flash:w:ledarray.hex:a Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = ""; type = null hardware Version =null .null; Hardwear version= dull.null avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make.exe: *** [ledarray-upload] Error 1

mmcu=atmega168 LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com5 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

all: ledarray-upload

ledarray.hex: ledarray.c make -C ../libnerdkits avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o ledarray.o ledarray.c ${LINKOBJECTS} avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex ledarray.o ledarray.hex

ledarray.ass: ledarray.hex avr-objdump -S -d ledarray.o > ledarray.ass

ledarray-upload: ledarray.hex avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:ledarray.hex:a

December 07, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi igondjo32,

Most likely that error means that your MCU is not in programming mode when you are attempting to program it, or that there is a loose wire somewhere.

Also please note that it is much easier for us to read your makefiles if you indent them as code blocks. After you paste your makefile in high light it and click the Indent Selection as Code Block button.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that microcontrollers have two different kinds of memory, program space (flash) and SRAM? Learn more...