NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » led wig-wag bllinking light set for rc truck body

December 29, 2009
by monkeywithawrench

hey does anyone have any ideas for creating a wig-wag light set for my t-maxx? wig-wags are the amber colored lights built into the headlights on emergency and a lot of city vehicles. it doesnt have to use a nerdkits micro controller and actually it would be better if id didn't require it because it is likely to get broken if it isn't something that is soldered down to a board. any help would be greatly appreciated.

kinda like this or this

and actually just like this

thanks

December 29, 2009
by mongo

Give this a try...

The CD4017 decade counter is a great choice for this. Use any TTL oscillator you want to drive it. The CD4093 Schmtdt trigger is a simple one and certainly capable of it.

Use outputs 0, 2, 5 and 7 to feed the drivers.

Isolate the outputs with switching diodes like 1N914 or similar. Outputs 0 and 2 feed one half while 5 and 7 feed the other half.

To make the LEDs Flash in a strobe-like manner, a simple r/c network goes between the diodes and the drivers.

The drivers can be 2N2222 transistors. I have a circuit drawn up but haven't figured out how to upload pics yet.

December 30, 2009
by mongo

Here is a good link for app notes on the 4017

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4017.htm#pins

December 30, 2009
by mongo

OK, I figured out the image uploads... Sorta...

Here is the quick sketch on the 4017 wigwag circuit. Again... Sorry about the size and slow transfer. . The resistor and capacitor values can be played with for different speeds and flash durations.

alt image text

December 30, 2009
by n3ueaEMTP

I would suggest a 555 timer set in astable mode. About half way down this page is a schematic: The Electronics Club. I've used the 555 timer extensively and they work great.

December 30, 2009
by n3ueaEMTP

OK, I probably should have looked closer at the videos because a single 555 timer would only do a wig-wag thing like the ones we use at work. When one is on, the other is off & vise-versa. Sorry.

December 30, 2009
by monkeywithawrench

a 555 timer alone isn't enough to to this. mongo i think has it spot on. thanks

December 30, 2009
by mongo

555 and 556 chips are great for some pretty precise signals but they require more components to do the job. I have in the past, built dedicated pulse generators for breadboarding and they work great. In this case however, the simpler - the better.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that essentially all power supplies' voltages drop when current is drawn from them? Learn more...