NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Good literature our there for new hobbyists?

January 03, 2010
by delscorcho

Hey guys,

I've got some experience in electronics from my college days, and am now getting back into it many years later. I'm really enjoying the nerdkit, and now aching to dive in deeper.

I'm a long time software engineer with a very solid knowledge of hardware and computer architecture. I'm looking for good books or literature to help me better grasp the principals of electronics and circuits so I can depend on my understanding of the fundamentals as I move forward.

The nerdkits guide is the perfect format in how it walks the reader through actual projects while (very importantly) explaining the reasons for each decision (all components used, why X is a good idea, etc). I guess I'm basically looking for an equivalent to Nerdkits 2.0 for continuing hobbyists. :)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

January 07, 2010
by BobaMosfet

I would recommend Amazon. Start with the BASICs.

January 09, 2010
by delscorcho

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've been doing.

I was hoping there was a specific book known to the veterans that stood out among the pack when they were getting started. Something particularly comprehensive, well-written, etc...

January 14, 2010
by Phrank916

I found a couple books out there just from doing some searching around online, but the one I seem to be getting the most from is Programming And Customizing The AVR Microcontroller by Dhananjay V. Gadre. It really goes into explaining the AVR architecture, plus it has 10 projects that seem like they will be fun to attempt.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control 120 LEDs with just 17 microcontroller pins? Learn more...