NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » COM Ports

January 18, 2010
by tommy

Hi. I just started trying to get my nerdkit to work again and while I was trying to program it on a new computer I realized that there are no COM ports below 9 on the computer... is there anyway to program on here? Also when I tried to program using COM 10 I got the error avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1 is this just because of my COM port issue?

Thanks,

Tommy

January 18, 2010
by tommy

Ok I changed COM port 10 to 2 but I still get the error in cmd. I am soo confused.... please help!

January 18, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Tommy,

First, realize that that buffered memory not supported error could be caused by many things, take it slow, and I am sure we will be able to figure out the problem.

Have you double checked all your wiring, to make sure everything is in the right place. I know it sounds silly, but most of the problems can be traced back to some wiring error. Also check your battery or try a new one, a low battery can very easily cause funky issues.

If that still doesn't work, it could mean your cable has given out. Send us some pictures of your setup (including your cable) to support <at> nerdkits <dot> com, we will take a look, and see what we can do.

Humberto

January 18, 2010
by mongo

When you changed to COM2, was there a conflict? If more than one device points to the same com port, bad things happen.

My NK USB adapter comes up on COM4 but when I use a different adapter, I have to use COM5.I have different drivers for each and depending on which one I have connected, something has to be changed.

Check your driver installation to make sure it's in the right place.

As I understand, AVRDUDE doesn't like anything higher than COM5.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a piezoelectric buzzer can be used in reverse as a microphone? Learn more...