NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Buying replacement wire

January 24, 2010
by egero1

I wanted to purchase more wire, and did not see much of a selection at the local Radio Shack. Where is a good place to buy wire, and what guage/type works best when working with the NerdKit?

January 25, 2010
by mongo

Over the years, I have found that plain old telephone hookup wire seems to work the best. Wire gauge is around 24AWG and there are 4 colors, Red, Black, Green and Yellow.

I think it is probably available at the big-box stores these days.

January 25, 2010
by JKITSON

SEND AN EMAIL TO SUPPORT@NERDKITS.COM AND ASK FOR A QUOTE ON MORE WIRE...

THEY HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC ABOUT SUPPLYING ADDITIONAL ITEMS...

JIM

January 25, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

For your information, we currently include 22 AWG solid wire in the kit. This or 24 AWG (slightly thinner) works well in the breadboard. Stranded wire bends more easily for use in long cables, etc., but is a real pain on the breadboard. You can certainly contact us about adding wire to an order. But if you're just to buy lots of wire, I recommend you look at Bulk Wire -- tell them NerdKits sent you. :-)

Mike

February 12, 2010
by treymd

Everyone has ethernet cable laying around these days, it's a cheap source for 24AWG solid core wire in 8 colors! sure, stripping the insulation off and untwisting it can be mundane, but a 100ft. run will last you a lifetime.

February 12, 2010
by pbfy0

I use 20 AWG -- seems perfect

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can see each keypress on a computer keyboard on an oscilloscope? Learn more...