NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Error First Time Programming Chip

April 18, 2009
by socaldavis

Hello, love the kit so far, but trying to program the chip for the first time is giving me a little trouble.

Xubuntu with avrdude, gcc-avr, and avr-libc dmesg shows: usb 1-2: p12303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

When I run "make", I get a message saying: Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance! Chris

April 18, 2009
by socaldavis

UPDATE: My yellow wire coming from the programming header was out of the breadboard. Worked ok after that, but.....

Now the LCD just shows all black squares (even after I unplug the battery, and flip the programming switch to off).

April 18, 2009
by mcai8sh4

I've had a similar error initially. I can't remember the exact fix, but try the following.

Check all the connections to the lcd display. adjust the contrast of the LCD

I also had some output problems with ubuntu based computer due to wrong avr-libc you need 1.6.2 (i think).

I fixed this with

http://www.nerdkits.com/files/Downloads/avr-libc_1.6.2-1_all.deb

apt-get remove the old then install this one.

Hope this helps.

April 18, 2009
by socaldavis

Thanks, I will try it out and get update this thread.

Chris

April 18, 2009
by socaldavis

Man, I'm slackin, I thought I checked all the LCD connections, but after re-seating them all again, it works! Thanks guys!

Chris

January 22, 2011
by Darth_Jedi

Hello All,

We are getting the same error mentioned above. We are using Ubuntu 10.04 and have the following installed:

ii avr-libc 1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2 Standard C library for Atmel AVR development

ii avra 1.2.3a-1 Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

ii avrdude 5.10-1ubuntu1 software for programming Atmel AVR microcont

ii avrp 1.0beta3-7 Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

ii avrprog 0.2.2-2 Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

ii binutils-avr 2.20-2 Binary utilities supporting Atmel's AVR targ

ii gcc-avr 1:4.3.4-1 The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr)

ii gdb-avr 6.4.90.dfsg-3ubuntu1 The GNU Debugger for avr

ii simulavr 0.1.2.2-6.1ubuntu1 Atmel AVR simulator

Will this version of avr-libc work, or do we need to downgrade to the 1.6.2 mentioned above?

Thanks

January 22, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Darth_Jedi,

I think it is unlikely a different version of libc is causing this problem. The error you are getting means your chip can't talk to the computer, which most of the time points to an error in wiring or a dying battery. Did you get the initial congratulations message to come up ok? If you include a picture of your setup we would be glad to take a look and see if we can spot something.

Humberto

January 23, 2011
by Darth_Jedi

Hi,

We had to reposition the ground wire, and everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a NerdKit can be used to build an iPhone-controlled R/C car? Learn more...