NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Wire broke inside LCD,plug socket 12,kit ruined

February 01, 2010
by winterwolf

I just got my kit today and a wire broke inside the LCD plug 12 and i can't get it out or find away around it, its all ruined!!

can someone help, can I get a new lcd screen or am I screw*d?

February 01, 2010
by mongo

The plug? At the edge of the board? If so, NOPE, you'll live. If this is the little wires that you plug into the edge of the board, just take a little time with a needle and pluck the broken wire out. It might take a little time but it'll come out if you have a skinny enough needle.

If you are handy at soldering, you can just solder a cable onto the board - but be careful not to over do it. I will be doing just that in the near future and will be posting the results.

You can also get a new LCD screen... I just got a couple a while back and they are not really very expensive.

Mongo

February 01, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Winterwolf,

We don't have a magical trick to get the wire out of there, but there are a few solutions you could try. First, try to shake it out, or grab it with tweezers. It is probably not in there very tight. If that doesn't work, you can try using pliers or tweezers to bend the black plastic casing back carefully damaging as little of it as you can until you can get a good grip on your wire. It might not look very pretty after but it will still be functional. If you have a soldering iron around and feel comfortable soldering you can try to solder a wire directly onto the pin just behind the black part of the connector.

If none of that works, you can go ahead and send the LCD back to us, and we will send you a new one. Send us an email at support <at> nerdkits <dot> com before you send it so we can know to expect it. We also have more LCDs for sale on our store

Humberto

February 01, 2010
by winterwolf

I tried everything to get it out but no luck :( I've been trying to fix it for ages usings everything I could find around the house :S and thank you so much Humberto, you guys rock! I love this site!!

February 02, 2010
by Mike

Have you tried pushing it out with a larger diameter wire?

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that there are Power MOSFETs for switching big loads on and off? Learn more...