NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Sensors, Actuators, and Robotics » How to trigger a gravity fed liquid dispenser

May 01, 2009
by DonNYC

For the next phase of my beer FermentBot I need to figure out a way to add a bottle of candi sugar syrup to a fermenting beer.

I envision having a bottle upside down with 2 tubes going in the fermenter. One tube to let the syrup in the fermenter and another to let CO2 from the fermenter into the bottle to displace the liquid. I need to have a closed loop and maintain good sanitization.

My two ideas so far are a solenoid valve or some surgical tubing with a spring loaded clamp that I can release with a servo or solenoid.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

May 01, 2009
by mcai8sh4

I'm going to have to go to the pub if you keep up all this talk of beer!

I think, to keep everything clean, your best bet would be a proper valve, and some form of actuator - maybe the servo water project might give you some ideas.

May 01, 2009
by Pheryllt

Basic mechanics sounds about right.

Use food grade stainless tubes, valves and "bottle" and you might want a pressure relief valve on top to handle over pressure on your dispensing bottle.

or you could forgo the co2 feed and let gravity do the work for you on the relative cheap with food grade plastic valve and a servo driver perhaps? http://www.h2osplashwaterfilters.com/ballvalso14.html

The issue with this (gravity fed plastic) is the receiving container would have to not be pressurized at the moment of injection. (I think this defeats your purpose)

Any way keep us up to date on the project.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the microcontroller's crystal oscillator can be used to keep accurate time? Learn more...