NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » make fails on initialload program.

May 09, 2010
by matman

Hi, I get this error when trying to upload the demo program...

C:NerdKitCodeinitialload>make

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com3 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .

Found programmer: Id = "Huh? Go"; type = ' Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = '.S avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

What have I done wrong? Thanks, Matt.

May 09, 2010
by Rick_S

This error typically means there is an issue with communications between your PC and micro-controller.

Double check your com port settings - I see you have it set for com3. Make sure that is the port your programming adapter is assigned.

Double check your wiring to the micro-controller itself. The black wire should be at V0 (ground), the yellow wire at pin 2, and the green at pin 3. If you have the current all in one usb adapter, and are running on battery power, do not connect the red wire from the usb adapter. If you have the Programming header illustrated in the guide, connect the red wire to V+ (5VDC). Also, check the wiring at the programming switch. The center position should go to ground and the adjacent leg to pin 14. Even without programming, sliding that switch toward the micro-controller should blank the display when it's working.

Hope that gives you some ideas to look over. And of course, all the above is based on the assumption that your kit did successfully display the congratulations message from the 1st time build.

Rick

May 10, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi matman,

Rick_S is right, that particular error means your programming switch is either not in programming mode, or not wired up correctly. Make sure the switch is wired up so that pin 14 of the MCU gets connected to ground when you flip the switch towards the MCU. Make sure you reset power to the MCU, and you should see two solid lines on the LCD (this will indicate you are in programming mode.

Let us know if it still doesn't work.

Humberto

May 10, 2010
by matman

Okay it works if i directly connect mcu pin 14 to gnd with a wire but still not with switch - got me baffled! It's the switch with the 3 pins and the 2 switch positions right? left switch pin on mcu pin 14, middle pin to gnd and right to nothing. Is this right? I've built the circuit on a digital trainer so use the supplied 5v supply from this and haven't built the power circuit using the battery and regulator. Should the right pin be connected to something? Thanks for all your help __matt.

May 10, 2010
by matman

Okay got it - the mode is determined at startup and can't be changed until the mcu is reset. A note about this in the manual might be useful - or did I miss it? Thanks again for the help __matt.

May 10, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi matman,

That is right, the bootloader checks the state of the pin and decides whether to stay in programming mode or to jump too the application code. We do state in the guide that you need to reset power to the chip after switching to programming mode (the red box in prepare for programming page 42). I agree that it is a bit disconnected from the flow of the rest of the guide. I will try to make it more clear in a future revision of the guide. Thanks for the feedback!

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that microcontrollers have two different kinds of memory, program space (flash) and SRAM? Learn more...