NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Gulf oil spill

May 11, 2010
by treymd

Someone I went to high school with challenged me to solve it quicker than BP can. How do we safely clean up a bunch of flammable petrol!

I know facebook makes ya stupid, but please add me and start a discussion about it there, they need proper nerds. My name is Matthew Trey, I went to Altmar-Parish-Williamstown High school in parish, NY. try to keep it simple but help us help them safely. Do the nerdy stuff here and tell them exactly how to clean it up without killing themselves.

May 11, 2010
by treymd

What I'm proposing here is an oil spill cleanup device. The oil companies care about the oil and little about the contamination. sealed pumps, sealed alternators, make it safe. Then any person can clean up the patches of oil the companies leave behind. With their fishing boats, or pleasure boats. Teach them how to ground their watercraft and how to seal their alternators on the boat, how to keep them from overheating, and how to defeat the enemy of static electricity. They are willing to learn, they want to save the wildlife.

We can do that.

May 12, 2010
by treymd

Not wanting to touch this with a very large pole? I understand. sparks and oil aren't good friends. I figured I'd give it a shot.

May 30, 2010
by BobaMosfet

Well, I think the easiest way to address this is to prioritize things:

1. Containment
  2. Control
  3. Capture

The easiest way to both contain and control any spill of any similar chemical into another liquid, is to create a vortex. This allows us to attract the spilled material (in effect containing it), and control it by flowing it into something that will then filter and separate the two.

Capture is a matter of determining a way to separate the two, perhaps based on viscosity or weight, or molecular size.

I'm surprised they didn't think of this.

BM

May 30, 2010
by BobaMosfet

Ignore my earlier post. I've caught up with things (I've been away), and I see that really isn't the problem. They can't get it stopped.

BM

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a giant scrolling LED array with our microcontroller kit? Learn more...