NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Customer Testimonials » cant connet to programmer

June 03, 2010
by chief911

hi,

when i try to program my MCU i cant connect to it. this is everything i got after i entered 'make' to the cmd.

avrdude: -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -p com3 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

connecting to programmer. found programmer: id = "" ""; type= softwere version = .; hardwere version = . avrdude: eror: buffered memory access not supported. maybe it isn't a butterfly/avr109 but a avr910 device? make:***[initialload-upload] eror 1

June 03, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Chief911,

This error could mean quite a few things. It basically means the computer can't talk to the MCU for some reason. The most common cause is usually a loose wire or a dying battery. Have you been able to program the chip at all in the past, or this is this your first attempt?

If you post good close up pictures of your setup we might be able to spot something that is wrong and help you fix it. Let us know if you resolve the issue.

Humberto

June 03, 2010
by Ralphxyz

Try unplugging your USB cable and replugging before hitting make.

Ralph

June 03, 2010
by treymd

Should be a FAQ on this one.. it comes up alot.

June 03, 2010
by Rick_S

I was thinking the exact same thing treymd. I know I've answered it several times myself. And while I understand people of this community come at all ages and levels of knowledge and experience, an FAQ / Sticky section could be VERY helpful.

I love the NK community and have learned more in the past several months through this community and my kit than I ever anticipated. The weakest link to this community IMHO is the forums.

They offer very few of the features that many forums I frequent all have.

Just to name a few,

Stickys
FAQ's
Editing of posts after they've been posted
User profiles
Smileys
Signatures

Etc...

I'm sure the NK team has their reason's for the use of the software they are. But it does often make the use of the forum cumbersome.

I'd love to see a more robust forum with an open to the public area and a private members only area. That way people outside the community could participate in a portion of the forum without purchase.

Sorry to take this topic off subject...

Rick

June 04, 2010
by chief911

hello again, and thank you all for your help.

i have reconnected every part. turns out it was one of the switches was a little out.

i had loose wire before but it never went on with trying to connect to the programer.

anyway its working now, thanks again everyone for your help.

June 05, 2010
by Rick_S

I'm glad to hear you're up and running. Bad/Incorrect connections haunt me to this day. I'm 45yrs old and have been playing around in the electronics arena since the late 70's. (Does anyone else remembe P-box project kits from Radio Shack??)

Just yesterday, I was playing with some 74HC595's to see exactly how they work. I had one working sucessfully and wanted to 'daisy-chain' more to it. I built the additional two on another board - connected everything and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working -- That is until my voltage regulator shut down. I had put the 595's in backward. Talk about a smack yourself in the head moment! :)

Amazinly enough, the 595's and regulator still worked fine once everything was wired correctly.

Again, I'm glad you hear you got things working and please forgive the off topic rantings of mine a couple of posts ago. I hope if you have any other issues or questions, you'll feel free to ask. This forum has many friendly and helpful members of all skill levels. Rarely does a question go un-answered.

Rick

June 10, 2010
by treymd

I need a personal FAQ on how to stop scuffing my feet around on a carpet and touching a microcontroller.

June 13, 2010
by BobaMosfet

treymd-

I sympathize greatly.

I once worked in an office where static was so bad, that you'd sit down and touch the mouse, and the whole computer would reboot. Printers were always rebooting, etc.

I got into the habit of always touching something and grounding myself first. To this day, I always touch something grounded before I touch anything electronic out of habit, and I (90% of the time) where a static discharger on a lanyard around my neck.

BM

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can make a spooky Halloween Jack-O-Lantern with a microcontroller? Learn more...